Across the Federation we aim to develop all children as readers, writers and linguists who demonstrate these characteristics:
- A developed love of literature through widespread reading for enjoyment. Reading widely and often for both pleasure and information.
- High standards of language and literacy with a strong command of the spoken and written word.
- Read easily, fluently and with good understanding.
- Appreciate our rich and varied literary heritage
- Acquire a wide vocabulary, an understanding of grammar and knowledge of linguistic conventions for reading writing and spoken language.
- Write clearly, accurately and coherently, adapting their language and style for a range of contexts, purposes and audiences.
- Use discussion in order to learn; they should be able to elaborate and explain clearly their understanding and ideas.
- Are competent in the arts of speaking and listening, making formal presentations, demonstrating to others and participating in debate.